New blog look!

This week I haven’t been feeling a 100%, so I’ve spent the evenings relaxing at home. This has given me some time to try out new WordPress themes for the blog, but I’m still looking.

There are a lot of crappy themes out there – not that I can make a better one myself though :)


Edit: Now I’ve returned to the Mystique theme that I used for a long time some time back.



Thanks to @oddf, I’m sitting here, listening to NRK P2, where they discuss how Internet changes us, the way we work and the way we think.

On that note, I checked out my Google History, and realized that I use Google quite often and I thought I’d share the statistics with you.

Top 3 searches:

Top 3 searches, web addresses and popular links the past year.

Two of the three top links belong to my project, where I use TeXnicCenter to write my reports, and I work a lot at NTNU Nanolab. PHP is an interest of mine, and will probably stay on top of the list for quite some time :)

I’m pretty happy with the centre column, topped by the English and Norwegian Wikipedia. reaches third thanks to my Radionette Menuett HTPC, running Ubuntu (lots to learn for year long Windows user).

The third column is also related to my HTPC and my project (LaTeX).

Daily and hourly search statistics:

Weekly search statistics

The weekly trend is that I’m quite “search happy” Monday through Thursday, while I do a little less searching during Friday and Saturday.

On the hourly chart, I guess I can say that for the most part, I go to bed before midnight. Further I seem to stop searching around 17-18 (maybe dinnertime), but I start again in the evening).

So what does this tell me?

To be honest, it was a bit scary to see how much I actually use Google. However, I found it quite interesting, and it relates well to my feeling of what I look up on the internet.

Hourly search statistics

iPublish goes WordPress MU

iPublish.noI started out with this blog using iPublish‘s own blogging platform and I’ve been using it for over a year now. During this year iPublish has grown very fast, and they’ve had serious issues handling their popularity, something that has resulted in unstable servers and sometimes lack of service.

About one and a half month ago iPublish changed their blogging platform from their homemade platform to the more stable and reliable WordPress MU, something they definitely needed.

Loosing my head!
Unfortunately, the switch was premature. Somehow iPublish has managed to skip the header images of each post. When asking Support about the matter I was told, that this error unfortunately had happened in some cases (the entirety of my 100 cases) and the best they could do was for me to log into the old control panel and download the images manually and paste them into the posts again.

Well, tough luck I though, I’ll have to do the transfer manually. When trying to access the old control panel I realized it is no longer available!

This domain ( is no longer registered with a customer. What!?

This domain ( is no longer registered with a customer. What!?

Reading between the lines?
The second thing that has caused problems to the transfer to WordPress MU goes all the way back to spring 2009 when iPublish had a control panel upgrade and removed their Introduction field in the “Add post” section. Two fields, the excerpt and the main text window were reduced to a single one.

This change had no significant change to the blogs as seen from the outside world, but what annoyed me then (and even more now) is that iPublish didn’t merge the text in the two fields (in their database), making text written in the Introduction field unavailable to the author.

At the time I pointed out the weakness, but no action was taken from iPublish’ side. The issue got a lot bigger when I realized that iPublish didn’t transfer the Introduction field when transferring to WordPress MU.

Now I have several posts with a title, but no text!

I cannot express how insanely idiotic this is, specially since iPublish never gave the user the possibility to backup their posts!

I have contacted iPublish Support about these issues, but have yet to receive an answer solving the problem …

Google Wave tryout

Google wave interface
The past two days I’ve been trying out Google Wave, Google’s new collaborative, real-time communation platform.

According to Google, “Google Wave is what email would be if it was invented today.

Instead of the email system where all users receive an individual copy of a mail all users share the same messages, or Waves as it is called – hosted on a central server.  Everyone can reply to or even edit the original Wave. Additionally one can add interactive elements as gadgets (ie. maps, polls  etc.).

These features – and the fact that everyone can see what the others are doing in real-time makes Google Wave a very powerful collaboration tool. Contacts can literally be dragged into the  conversation/Wave as it evolves.

Google has even implemented a Playback functionality, making it possible to see how the Wave has evolved from start to finish. This is very useful if a large number of users edit the same Wave.

Google Wave is still not completed and have several flaws. Google Wave is currently in a Preview stage, and an invitation is necessary to try it out.

I am convinced that it will become a very popular tool for planning projects, chatting and information sharing when it is made available to everyone.

Hopefully it (or a similar service) will take over for today’s outdated emailing system.

If you want to see more, I suggest you take a look at Mashable‘s Complete guide to Google Wave and Google’s own 10 minute Google Wave Overview.